ALL WORKSHOPS OCCUR AT THE LEOMINSTER CAREER CENTER
Do you think you need to acquire new skills to reach your employment goal? The North Central Career Centers are here to support your job search by assisting you with researching your options, exploring funding sources and applying for training services if you qualify. To begin, follow these steps:
Steps to Gaining New Skills
Begin by researching your employment, education and training options on our Resources page.
Bring your resume and job search log for review. If you believe you are not qualified for positions due to a lack of specific skills, you may consider obtaining that skill through a training program. Discuss with the Employment Service Representative your interest in acquiring skills through training.
STEP 2: Decide whether you’d like to further your education
- Talk with someone at the North Central Educational Opportunities Center
- Massachusetts Education and Career opportunities Center
- Visit your Public Library for information about careers, salaries, and education
- Visit the schools you are considering attending
- Use Mount Wachusett Community College Career Coach
STEP 3: Explore your funding opportunities.
Your funding sources may include:
- Self Funding
- Federal Financial Aid – U.S. Dept. of Education Grants
- Student Loans
- Student Financial Assistance MASS
For help, contact the North Central Career Centers’ partner, Educational Opportunity Center.
Is training right for you? Research your options.
- Search for (TOP) Training Opportunities Program Section 30
- Search Training programs on Massachusetts JobQuest.Step
STEP 4: Apply for approved training resources
The North Central Career Centers Representative may assist you:
- Further establish your need for training
- Help you complete enrollment/eligibility application, and
- Support you throughout your training
- Prepare you for employment in your new career
For more information about Training Programs and Services, review Training Opportunity Program data on Mass.gov website.
Workshop Registration Process
- Pre-registration is required due to limited seating.
- You can register with an Employment Specialist or Case Manager by calling 978-534-1481.
- Prerequisite – Attend a Career Center Seminar (CCS).
- Career Center Seminar will be canceled only if the North Central Career Center is closed due to weather and/or other conditions. For weather-related closings, Please call the Adverse Weather Line at 617-626-6277 or go to https://www.mass.gov for weather announcements.
- Latecomers will not be admitted ten minutes after the workshop start time.
- Please notify us at least 24 hours prior to the start of the workshop if you cannot attend.
- No food or drink allowed during a workshop.
Important! If you are collecting Unemployment Insurance file online with DUA prior to starting your training.
Other Training Opportunities
Have you been laid off from your job? You may be eligible for Dislocated Worker training and services. Contact Dislocated Workers Services
List of workshops offered on an ongoing basis:
Career Center Seminar (CCS) This overview of Center services is the first step for all new Career Center members. We suggest you join JobQuest prior to attending a workshop. Click here to register at JobQuest and for assistance JobQuest Guide; click on the link for LMI-Labor Market Information Worksheet includes additional Career Resource information Websites)
Introduction to LinkedIn So many ways exist for job seekers to improve their job search using LinkedIn. More and more employers use LinkedIn to post job listings, as well as to reach out to possible job candidates. At the same time, many LinkedIn users credit the site with being a primary platform for connecting and networking with potential employers. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to uncover opportunities and how to contact decision makers.
Job Search Strategies Our staff will discuss the various ways and methods of a successful job search, including various job search websites.
Interview with Confidence Introduces strategies for interview preparation, the interview itself and post-interview techniques.
Prepare for the Job Fair Discuss and learn the In’s and Out’s for each stage of the Job Fair; before, during and after. We will go over all the reasons you should attend a Job Fair and give you techniques on how to prepare.
Over 40 Job Search: Overcoming the Age Barrier Learn about strategies for mature workers and how to deal with negative stereotypes. Turn your age into an advantage and market yourself appropriately.
Resume and cover letter basics Learn how to develop a résumé and cover letter that market your skills as well as achievements. Understand the do’s and don’ts of résumé and cover letters. Sample Resume Walk-through
This list illustrates some of the workshops available to you. For a complete monthly listing, visit our home page at www.masshirenorthcentralcc.com